1. Stretch Warm up
– “Nothing that uses up a lot of energy, we need that for the squat exercise".
"All you need is a two minute stretch that includes: the prayer squat stretch and the frog stretch - one minute of each"
2. ABS Control – “You need a stable core to maximize your energy during the lift, to do this you need to breathe in and tighten your abs before you squat down".
"You need to focus breathing lower down, practice breathing deeply, your natural intake is surprisingly shallow".
"Repeat this process during the exercise by taking a couple of deep breaths at the end of every squat. You now have a stable core controlled by the ABS."
3. Deep Down Low – “It's important to get low".
"Most people make the mistake of squatting at a 90 degree angle thinking this is better for your back, Wrong...your hip joint should be parallel with your knees before you start to power back up".
"This is often tricky to master, try doing a regular squat without the bar and focus on the movement, once you feel you have this perfected add the bar and eventually weights".
4. Positive Thinking – "Staying in the right mental state during a heavy squat will benefit you tremendously".
"When you get under the bar, stand up, then walk back, never think to yourself" this is really heavy. This negativity will set you up for failure".
"Don’t think about how heavy the bar is, because if you have any type of respectable squat, the weight will always be heavy".
"You should only think about driving that bar up".
– "If you watch any strongman competition, Olympic or cross training games you will notice the majority of competitors are wearing neoprene knee sleeves
"The main reason is the additional support they give your knees, especially during heavy squats knee sleeves aid your ability to hit higher goals".
"The second reason is knee sleeves keep your knees warm, improving blood circulation even during a rest period between sets"
"I've been testing the new line of knee sleeves
and recording the results of me and my clients to see how much of a difference knee sleeves make during squats".